CEA/CFFC office is an agency under the Ministry of Water Resources of the Government of Pakistan, which provides its advisory services to Ministry of Water Resources on issues i.e Engineering matter i.e Water & Power sector including flood control (protection & mitigation), dam safety, irrigation, drainage, and hydro-power, besides, other allied engineering matters at national level. A Central Engineering Authority was constituted after creation of Pakistan to manage the issues of water, power and allied engineering matters at national level. It was re-designated as Chief Engineering Advisor’s office after establishment of Water & Power Development Authority (WAPDA) in 1959. In January 1977, Federal Flood Commission (FFC) was established for the purpose of integrated flood management at national level. As per resolution, Office of the Chief Engineering Advisor provided secretariat for FFC, hence, it was generally named as “Office of Chief Engineering Advisor/Chairman Federal Flood Commission”. In 1987, Dam Safety Council (DSC) was established in Office of CEA/CFFC to carry out inspections of existing Dams and to review Plans for new dams.
Federal Flood Commission (FFC) is one of major wings of office of the CEA/CFFC mainly responsible for the preparation of National Flood Protection Plans and their implementation through concerned Provincial and Federal Line Agencies in the country. Chief Engineering Advisor in extended office Capacity acts as Chairman Federal Flood Commission.
Achievements of Office of CEA / CFFC
1. Preparation and approval of National Water Policy
2. Pivotal role in bringing about Water Accord 1991 for apportionment of waters of Indus River System among the provinces
3. Establishment of IRSA for equitable distribution of water among the provinces
4. Study on Water Escapages downstream of Kotri Barrage to address environmental concerns
5. GTZ assisted feasibility studies for small Hydel projects
6. Coordinated for Formulation of IPP Policies 1994
7. Coordinated for Preparation of Power Policy 2002 for power generation projects as well as Policy for renewable energy projects 2006
8. Inputs for Inception Report for interconnection of power systems of ECO countries
9. Preparation of Framework Corporatization of power sector activities into generation transmission and distribution companies.
(Exclusively pertaining to FFC include)
10. Preparation of 4thNational Flood Protection Plan-IV (NFPP-IV) and its approval by CCI on 2nd May 2017
11. Preparation of umbrella PC-I for implementation of NFPP-IV and its processing for clearance by concerned fora.
12. Preparation and implementation of the three National Flood Protection Plans I, II & III
13. Implementation of Flood Damages Restoration Projects (especially 1988 & 1992 FDRPs)
14. Establishment of Flood Forecasting Division under Pakistan Meteorological Department
15. Establishment of Flood Forecasting and Early Warning System of Lai Nullah
16. Establishment of Meteor-burst Telecommunication System including one Master Station and 44 remote sensing stations besides Procurement of 24 No. HF-Radio Sets
17. 10-CM (QPM) Weather Radar at Flood Forecasting Division (FFD) Lahore.
18. Upgradation of 10 CM QPM Weather Radar procured under FPSP-I, FFD, Lahore.
19. Upgradation of 5.36 CM Sialkot Weather Radar into 10CM QPM Weather Radar.
20. Installation of 10 CM QPM Weather Radar at Mangla
Polices / Plans
- 4th National Flood Protection Plan-IV (NFPP-IV)
- Flood Plain Inundation maps prepared for all major rivers
- Design criteria for flood works 2011
- National Water Policy 2018
- River Act proposed for Provinces & FLAs
- Flood limits/classification Charts (Major rivers +Nullahs)
- Flood Forecasting & Early Warning Plan/System for Lai Nullah
- Existing flood risk management interventions/ Flood Forecasting & Warning System
- Radars Network of PMD (Existing + Proposed)
- Meteor burst Telecommunication System of WAPDA
- HF Radio maintained by WAPDA
- Wireless Network of WAPDA
- PCIW’s Across border Data Sharing Mechanism
List of Member/ Partner Organizations
- Provincial Irrigation Departments
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) & PDMAs
- Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD)/ Flood Forecasting Division (FFD), Lahore
- Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA)
- Pakistan Commissioner for Indus Water (PCIW)
- National Highway Authority (NHA).
- Pakistan Railways.
- Irrigation Directorate, FATA Secretariat.
- Public Works Department of Gilgit-Baltistan.
- Irrigation and Small Dams Department, Government of AJ&K.
- Climate Change Division (CCD), Govt. Pakistan.
- Water and Sewer Authority (WASA)
Cells of CEA/CFFC
- Federal Flood Commission
- Civil Engineering Cell
- Power Engineering Cell
- Dams Safety Council
- Administration Wing
- Functions of FFC:
- Preparation of Flood Protection Plan for the country including management of the plan;
- Scrutiny of flood control/protection schemes funded by Federal Government and prepared by Provincial Governments and Federal Agencies;
- Review of damage of flood protection works and review of plans for restoration and reconstruction works;
- Measures for improvement of Flood Forecasting & Warning System;
- Preparation of Research Programme for flood control and protection;
- Standardization of designs and specifications for flood protection works;
- Recommendations regarding principles of regulation of reservoirs for flood control;
- Evaluation and monitoring of progress of implementation of the National Flood Protection Plans;
- Federal Flood Commission may notify sub-committees as it deems appropriate.
- NOTE: Preparation of schemes (PC-Is), tendering, award of contracts, execution, funds utilization, maintenance of flood works, etc. is total responsibility of Provinces/Federal Line Agencies
Flood Communication Cell of FFC
FFC through its Flood Communication Cell issues the Daily Flood Situation Monitoring Report during the entire Flood Season (1stJuly to 30th September) every year. The Report contains:
- Daily river discharges (Inflows, Outflows) of Indus, Jhelum, Chenab, Ravi, Sutlej etc.
- Major Dam position (Levels, Storage)
- Meteorological conditions over the country (with respect to Monsoon Low, Westerly Wave & the Seasonal Low)
- Hydrological conditions of river system, secondary and tertiary rivers/nullahs
- Weather & Flood Forecast for next 24 to 48 hours based on PMD’s prediction
- Significant flood/flash flood forecast for any particular river/area/locality
- Major rainfall events for the past 24 hours
- General warning to all related federal and provincial agencies regarding effective preparedness & timely response
- Civil Engineering Cell:
- Technical evaluation of Water Sector Projects prepared by WAPDA, Provincial Irrigation Departments and other agencies;
- Rendering expert advice to the Ministry of Water Resources and concerned agencies;
- Besides, expert advice is given on any engineering matter as and when referred to the Civil Engineering Branch;
- Render expert advice on International disputes arising out of the works constructed or likely to be constructed in neighboring countries having repercussions on the river flows of Pakistan;
- General liaison with international organizations in matters related to water resources, e.g. irrigation, drainage, flood control, etc.
- Pakistan is a member of the International Commission on Irrigation & Drainage (ICID) since 1953. The Civil Engineering Branch works as the Secretariat of Pakistan National Committee of ICID (PANCID)
- Power Engineering Cell:
- To evaluate power sector project schemes prepared by WAPDA, NTDCL, GENCOs, DISCOs, PPIB & AEDB and render expert technical advice to the Ministry including: –
- Hydel, Thermal and non-conventional sources of energy such as solar, wind, biomass etc.
- Transmission Lines & Grid Stations.
- Power Distribution.
- Rural Electrification.
- To evaluate and offer advice on regulatory, licensing and policy related matters to the Ministry.
- To offer advice on bilateral agreement, MoUs.
- To monitor feasibility studies of private sector projects as member Panel of Experts with Private Power and Infrastructure Board (PPIB).
- To render expert technical advice and recommendations on all matters related to Power Sector.
- Dams Safety Council:
- To carry out periodic inspections of dams& barrages and advise WAPDA/concerned Authorities regarding repairs and maintenance of dams and reservoirs;
- To review plans of new dams& barrages and monitor implementation of such projects;
- To review plans for enlargement, modifications, major repairs, revival or otherwise of dams/ barrages;
- To supply technical data and general liaison with national and international organizations, including International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD);
- Pakistan is a member of ICOLD since 1950. The Dams Safety Council works as the Secretariat of Pakistan National Committee of ICOLD (PANCOLD).
- Admin Wing:
- Preparing and submission of budgetary proposal and its finalization.
- Liaison with Ministry on DAC/ PAC matters with Appropriation Accounts and Audit Reports.
- Preparation and submission of contingent bills to office of AGPR and their follow-up.
- Processing cases for promotion/ transfer/ deputation of employees.
- Processing cases for Workshops/ Trainings/ Seminars.
- Adherence to all rules as laid down in Esta Code including the Leave Rules 1980, Seniority Rules 1993, Conduct Rules 1964 and E&D Rules 1973.
- Dealing with appeals and defending the department against employee litigations and tribunals and courts.
- Adherence to PPRA Rules 2004.
- Maintenance of asset registrar and disposal of obsolete assets through public auctions.
- Adherence to Staff Car Rules-1980 and Transport Monetization Policy 2011.
- Processing cases for hiring of employees under Accommodation Allocation Rules 2002.
- 2017 Annual Flood Report of FFC
- 2016 Annual Flood Report of FFC
- 2015 Annual Flood Report of FFC
- 2014 Annual Flood Report of FFC
- 2013 Annual Flood Report of FFC
- 2012 Annual Flood Report of FFC
- 2011 Annual Flood Report of FFC
- 2010 Annual Flood Report of FFC
- 2009 Annual Flood Report of FFC