MOU on Water Resources Management signed between Islamic Republic of Pakistan and Government of Australia
Islamabad September 18th, 2018:
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Water Resources Management between Islamic Republic of Pakistan andGovernment of Australia has been signed on 18-09-2018 by Mr. Shamail Ahmad Khawaja, Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources and H.E. Margaret Adamson, High Commissioner of Australia to Pakistan. The activities envisaged in this document of cooperation will open new horizons of cooperation between the two countries, particularly to improve Water Resources Management inter-alia in the following areas:
- River Basin Management (including basin planning, hydrology and hydrometeorology and ground water management);
- Water for Food and Agriculture;
- Water for Energy (including water for hydropower and industry);
- Water for Cities (including design for water sensitive cities);
- Water for the Environment (including healthy rivers, environmental flows, natural infrastructure and ecosystem maintenance);
- Water-related policy and institutional evolution, gender, valuing water, water use efficiency, watershed and water quality management, river/reservoir sediment management, rain-water harvesting, water situation & reuse of
waste-water, water data, water sharing/allocation, addressing water insecurity, water infrastructure financing, private sector engagement, and public-private partnerships;
- Drinking water (including aspects of drinking water quality) and other domains of co-operation as may be mutually approved;
- Riverine, flash and urban flood management;
- Early warning system related to natural disasters associated to hydro-meteorological/extreme climate events;
Establishment of PM -CJ Fund for Diamer Basha and Mohmand Dam
Islamabad September 9th, 2018: The Prime Minister has been pleased to call for public donations for Prime Minister – Chief Justice fund for Diamer Basha and Mohmand Dam. The funds details are as under:
Bank: State Bank of Pakistan
Account Name: SUPREME COURT OF PAKISTAN
Account No: 03-593-299999-001-4
Online link for Donation: Please Click here
Ref:Prime Minister’s Office Letter No.11(9)/2018-Admn Dated 9th September,2018
Ministry of Water Resources to Donate Money from their salaries for Construction of Dams
Islamabad July 11th, 2018: Pursuant to the Supreme Court’s initiative regarding contribution toward Diamer Basha and Mohmand Dams Fund the officers and staff of Ministry of Water Resources and office of Chairman Federal Flood Commission in a meeting under the chairmanship of Secretary Ministry of Water Resources decided to volunteer following humble contribution:
- Secretary, Water Resources volunteered to contribute his 15-day pay.
- All the officers (BS-17 & above) of the Ministry and the Federal Flood Commission volunteered to contribute their 3-day pay.
- The staff members (BS-1 to 16) of the Ministry and the Federal Flood Commission will contribute their 1-day salary toward the fund.
ECNEC APPROVED MOHMAND DAM HYDROPOWER PROJECT
Islamabad April 26th, 2018: The ECNEC in its meeting held on 26 April 2018 approved Mohmand Dam Hydropower Project at a total cost of Rs. Rs. 309.558 billion including FEC component of Rs. 71.548 billion.
The Secretary Ministry of Water Resources Mr. Shamail Ahmad Khawaja apprised the forum about the Project’s financing plan according to which the cost of dam attributable to water sector and agricultural benefits is Rs. 114,285 million which will require funding from the Federal PSDP as a grant whereas the remaining amount of the project which is Rs. 195.273 billion for power generation component will be arranged in the form of WAPDA’s equity and local and foreign commercial financing.
The forum chaired by the Prime Minister of Pakistan approved the project according to the above stated financing strategy.
|1.||Catchment Area||13,650 km2|
|2.||Dam Type||Concrete Faced Rock-fill Dam (CFRD)|
|3.||Dam Height||203 m|
|4.||Design Flood||968,575 cusec|
|5.||Live Storage||0.676 MAF|
|6.||Installed Capacity||800 MW|
|7.||Annual Energy||2,862 GWh|
|9.||Irrigation BenefitsLeft Bank
|9,013 acre; (through 116 cusec canal)
7,716 acre; (through 116 cusec canal)
|10.||Drinking Water for Peshawar||460 cusec capacity for water supply|
|11.||Implementation Period||86 months, including 12 months for Defect Liability Period (DLP) and further 6 months for closure of the project|