Neelum Jhelum Hydroelectric Project is a Mega Project of immense national importance. It is located in the vicinity of Muzaffarabad in Azad Jammu & Kashmir. The Project envisages the diversion of Neelum River water through Tunnels at Nauseri about 41km upstream of Muzaffarabad and out falling in Jhelum River at Zaminabad near Chattar Kalas. Powerhouse is located 22 km downstream of Muzaffarabad at Chattar Kalas.
1.2 SALIENT FEATURES
|Dam||Composite Dam (Gravity + Rock fill)|
|Height / Length||60 / 160 meters|
|Tunnel system||Twin Tunnel (19.60 km each)
Single Tunnel (8.94 km)
Tailrace Tunnel (3.55 km)
|Gross Head||420 meter|
|Design Discharge||280 Cumecs|
|Installed capacity||969 MW; 4 Turbines of 242.25 MW each|
|Energy Generation||5.15 Billion Units Annually|
|Date of commencement||30.01.2008|
115 months EOT of 620 days accounted for
|Contract cost||Original (Bid)
|Rs. 90.90 billion||3rd Revised PC-I 2015 Last approved.
Rs. 404.321 million
4th Revised PC-I 2017 Under Approval.
Rs. 500,343 million
- ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
No adverse Environmental impacts. It is a Run of River Project and 90% of the Works are underground.
- Neelum-Jhelum Consultants (NJC), a joint Venture, comprising MWH USA (Lead Firm), NORPLAN (Norway) and NESPAK, ACE & NDC of Pakistan.
- M/s CGGC-CMEC Consortium of two Chinese Firms of China
- PHYSICAL PROGRESS
- Physical progress is overall 98%
2.1 PROGRESS OF WORKS
- EMH works substantially completed
- CIVIL works substantially completed
2.2 STATUS OF PROJECT
- First unit inaugurated by Prime Minister on 13th April 2018
- Dam Structure are substantially completed and reservoir impounding commenced on 19-10-2017
- Waterway systems are substantially completed and pressurizing of tailrace commenced on 5th Jan 2018 while headrace filling commenced on 1st March 2018.
- 525 KV transmission line has been completed in all respects on 15th Feb 2018
- About 99% concreting of Power House and Transformer Hall has been completed.
- Civil Works of switchyard at Chattar Kalas has been substantially completed.
- Work on WAPDA colony and Administrative Block at Chatter Kalas remained in progress.
- LAND ACQUISITION
|1.||Total land required for the Project||4,817 Kanal|
|2.||Total land in possession||4,675 Kanal|
|3.||Total land awarded / leased||4,675 Kanal|
|4.||Land under process of award for reservoir area.||142 Kanal|
- FINANCIAL STATUS
- Status of Loans
|Name of Loan||Sanctioned Loan $million||Disbursement Status $million|
|China Exim –I||448.000||448.000|
|China Exim –II||576.000||279.553|
|Name of Loan||Sanctioned Loan
|Name of Loan||Sanctioned Loan
|NJ Surcharge||Estimated Amount
|Collection so far Status
- As per 4th Revised PC-1 under approval
(Rs. In Million)
|Under Approval 4th Revised PC-I Cost including IDC||500,343.01|
|Under Approval 4th Revised PC-I Cost excluding IDC||418,885.01|
|Up to date Expenditure excluding IDC etc. (till end of December 2017)||301,582.89|
|Add IDC up to December 2017||65,805.29|
|Up to date Expenditure including IDC etc. (till end of December 2017)||367,388.18|
Financial Progress (without IDC) Cash Based = 69.85%
Financial Progress (with IDC) Expenditure Incurred Based = 73.43%
Difference in 4th revised PC-1 Cost Estimate and Cost incurred up to 31st December 2018 = Rs. 132,954.83 million
The breakdown is as under:
|Sr. No||Items Description||PC-1 4th Revised Estimates||Actual Expenditure 31st Dec 2017||Remaining Cost (Rs. In million)|
|1||Construction Cost (Civil, and EMH)||198,564.00||141,955.05||56,608.95|
|7||Land Acquisition and Env Mitigat. Measures||7,237.00||2,663.77||4,573.23|
|8||Foreign Exchange Loss||94,303.19||60,644.57||33,658.62|
|10||Duties and Taxes||7,500.00||6,082.65||1,417.35|
|14||Interest During Construction||81,458.00||65,805.29||15,652.71|