In a country like Pakistan where agriculture continues to form the major portion of national economy and increasing importance is laid down upon industrial development, the need for optimum development of Water Resources cannot be overlooked.
Fostering the above vision, the former Prime Minister of Pakistan Mr. Shahid Khaqan Abbasi formed Ministry of Water Resources on August 04, 2017 after dissolving Ministry of Water & Power and merging Water Division into the newly created Ministry of Water Resources whereas the Power Division was merged into the then Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources and converted into Ministry of Energy. Historically Water Wing of the erstwhile Ministry of Water and Power was converted into the Ministry.
The Water Wing had the following functions:-
- Processing of development programs/projects for approval of the competent fora.
- Review and processing of annual development budget of water sector projects and review budget of water related organizations.
- Provision of inputs for the preparation of Annual plans, Medium Term Plans and Perspective plans.
- Coordination with Water Wing of WAPDA, Office of the Chief Engineering Advisor/Chairman Federal Flood Commission, Indus River System Authority, Pakistan Commissioner for Indus Waters, International Water logging and Salinity Research Institute, Federal Ministries, Provincial Irrigation and Agriculture Departments, concerned departments of Government of AJ&K, NAs and Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
- Processing of consultancy agreements of water resources/flood control projects for approval from the concerned Ministries.
- Monitoring of water resources development and flood control projects.