The project is located on Indus River, about 315 km upstream of Tarbela Dam, 180 km downstream of the Gilgit-Baltistan capital Gilgit city and 40 km downstream of Chilas city.
|Type||Roller compacted Concrete(RCC)|
|Gross Stroge||8.1 MAF (10.0 BCM|
|Live Stroge||6.4 MAF (7.9 BCM)|
|Tottal Isltalled Capicaty||MW4500|
|Loaction and Type||Underground, one each on right and left side|
|No of Units||12 each of 375MW|
|Annual Gentration||18,100 GWh/Year|
- The feasibility study of the project was carried out by NEAC Consultants in 2002-24.
- Review of Feasibility Study, Detailed Engineering Design/Tender Documentation was carried by Diamer Basha Consultants (Lahmeyer International Germany, NDC, BARQAAAB, PES) in 2005-08.
- In addition International Panel of Experts reviewed documents during Feasibility and Detailed Engineering Design Studies. The above studies proved that the project is technically viable and overall effect will be monumental.
- PC-I (Dam Part) amounting to 474 Billion has been approved by ECNEC on 17.04.2018
- PC-I (Power Generation Facilities) amounting to Rs. 751 Billion shall be processed after and practical start of Work on Main Dam.
- Land Acquisition
The GoP has already released Rs. 87 Billion for Land Acquisition & Resettlement. So far 31,696 acres of land has been acquired out of total required land of 37,419 acres which becomes 85%. Overall progress of resettlement works is 20%.
- Project Colony
Project Colony for Consultants and WAPDA Staff through 16 contracts is in progress (85% completed).